Congratulations on the birth of your child!
Baptisms are beautiful celebrations at St. Mary + Our Lady of Peace in Summit County. Newly baptized Christians are cleansed from sin and welcomed into the family of God. The entire community celebrates with you on this special day. Baptisms are scheduled as needed and can be done either during or outside of Mass.
Deacon Jim Doyle
Contact Deacon Jim to schedule dates for the class and the baptism.
(you do not need to take the class if you have already completed it within the past two years)
- Both parents must participate in the Baptism Prep Class which consists of the following.
- Attend follow up meeting with Deacon Jim. These are generally scheduled on Monday evenings from 5:30-6:30pm.
- Make sure all necessary paperwork is submitted on time. Including for Godparents.
Many, in choosing a Godparent, want to ask a good friend or a family member whom they wish to honor. It is indeed an honor to be asked, however the choice should be made based on different criteria other than friendship or family. For example, would you choose the world's best music teacher to be their child's ski instructor? The same is true of a choice for Godparent. They should be someone who is passionate about their Catholic faith and faithfully practices it. Godparents must get a letter from their home parish saying they are qualified to be godparents. This should be sent to St. Mary + Our Lady of Peace at least one week prior to the baptism.
The Catholic Church has clear guidelines about the requirements of Godparents which includes the following.
- Need to be an actively practicing Catholic
- Are at least 16 years of age and have received the sacraments of baptism, confirmation and first communion.